Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Helping or Not Helping Her?

We have come across lots of things in life. But we seldom remember what they were.




This little but quite threatening incident happened to me yesterday afternoon. I was walking on the road as usual with my sister. We met this one woman. She asked us about a big book shop nearby. We thought it was the MPH book store. We reconfirmed with her. She wasn't sure if it was the bookshop that she wanted to head to. Anyway, we still led her to the book shop we assumed. 

This woman spoke fluent English. First thing came to my mind was that she was a well educated woman. I assumed that she didn't know Chinese at all. Anyway, as we walked, she just realised she had been to the MPH bookshop. She told us that she had checked out that bookshop but she couldn't get what she wanted. Then she started telling us about "Book Keeping" in accounts. She wanted to help a girl who is sitting for SPM in 44 days. She asked us if both of us were Accounts students. I said yes ( I was quite regret telling her about that ). I told her that Accounts was just one of my subjects. She asked me if I knew about Book Keeping. I nodded my head and said yes. I said I wasn't an Accounts student before this. She then asked me to show her my textbook. It wasn't with me. She then told us that she had got 4 degrees. And I wasn't shocked. 

I then told her to look up for A levels or O levels textbooks. She said she couldn't get those. She wanted the English version of accounting book so badly. She told me how desperate the "last-minute" girl was to do accounts revision. I said, why didn't she study earlier? She showed no care about that. She told me that if I helped her, equivalent to helping a girl who was sitting for the test. 

Apparently, my big exam starts on the same day as SPM. My accounts was so badly done as well. This woman asked me if there would be a chance for her to read my accounts notes. I said they weren't with me. Then, we headed off to my college, as I suggested her to have a look with A levels accounts textbook. 

After asking for the prices and all that, she didn't decide to buy the books. She was still in panic with helping her friend's daughter. The only thing she knew about Accounts was book keeping, debit, credit. Before she left, she asked me if I could give her my phone number. I hesitated. Then, I shook my head. She then left me with her phone number. She said she knew I thought she was a bad person. ( But no, I don't think she is evil. I just thought it wouldn't be a great idea to simply give phone number to anyone!!! )

I was in a great dilemma for helping or not helping. I used almost 1/2 an hour to deal with this woman. I just realised that my EQ was super low. I couldn't manage things properly. 

I'm not a helpful person. I will just stay away from helping people. I've lost the interest in helping anyone. It is so hard for me to justify right or wrong. 

I was so frustrated after that, because she wasted my 30 minutes. And she made me feel bad. While thinking of helping the girl, I thought about how desperate I was too, for sitting for my exam on the same day as she will. I prayed to God that I was able to make good decisions. 

Philippians 2:4

not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

Deep in my heart, I wish I could help her in a more willing heart. But I just couldn't. I suggest that she could find a tuition teacher for that girl instead of learning those book keeping and then teach that girl, because that sounds too illogical for me, at least. 

X

1 comment:

  1. you have her phone number right, go and ask her whether she has gotten what she wanted. It's through text, so you will not hv to worry bout issue being physical or the pressure to do something. you can easily ignore the text if you feel it isnt going on the right track. I suggest you to do what you can to help her now.

    ReplyDelete